Travel and medical insurance is a New Zealand Government requirement and compulsory for all international students studying in New Zealand. It is also a requirement of their Student Visa. An international student at NCBT must have appropriate medical and travel insurance to meet the requirements of their visa. Student’s insurance must cover their time studying in, and travelling to and from New Zealand.
Southern Cross International Student Travel Insurance (SCTI) is NCBT’s preferred insurance provider. All NCBT placed insurance will be with SCTI.
- The student’s insurance meets the requirements of the Code of Practice for the Pastoral Care of International Students. Copies of the Code in English and other languages are available on the New Zealand Legislation website www.legislation.govt.nz. The aim of insurance cover is to protect students from significant financial costs arising from incidents.
Students are required to fill in and send the Southern Cross Insurance Form along with their transaction receipt of tuition fee payment. NCBT will not issue a fee receipt if a filled and signed Insurance Form is not received. It is extremely important that students mention any medical conditions or other health issues on this form. Any non-disclosure may lead to the student not being covered by Insurance and making the payment themselves when seeking treatment. Non–disclosure may be considered as withholding/false misleading information and may lead to instant termination.
If students purchase an alternative insurance policy from another provider:
- Make sure the insurance cover is for the length of their student visa and their time travelling to and from NZ.
- They need to provide proof of their purchase.
- Email their insurance certificate to NCBT along with the transaction receipt of tuition fee payment.
- Copy of the insurance cover should be in English, which includes:
- Student’s personal details
- Policy number
- Policy start/expiry date
- A brief schedule of benefits
If students wish to arrange their own insurance, it must be approved by NCBT. If own insurance is purchased after the release of NCBT’s fee receipt the insurance arranged by default by NCBT will stay in place and no refunds will be made.
Student’s will automatically be insured with NCBTs default policy SCTI and the insurance premium charged to student’s NCBT student account in the following cases:
- Student’s current policy does not meet the requirements set out by NZQA’S Code of Practice
- Student’s insurance certificate is not provided before the submission due date